Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mama's Birthday

My mom's birthday is May 1st and I needed the perfect
card to celebrate such an amazing woman. She really appreciates
things that are hand made, and the thought that goes into
them, so this card needed to be extra special!

I used the layout and ribbon idea from a card by
Nichole Heady, and tried to pick elements that would
have special meaning for my mom. Both of her parents
passed away in the last two years, so her birthday has
been a bit difficult for her because of their absence.
My Opa's favorite flowers were daffodils, and I didn't
have a daffodil stamp, so I tried to create the look of one using
the retired Delight in Life set from Stampin' Up. I stamped
the flower on the cardstock then coloured it in with my blender
pen. Then I stamped it again on vellum, coloured it and cut it
out. I bent the edges up a bit to give it some dimension and
then added the center which I stamped on Summer Sun cardstock
with More Mustard ink. I crumpled the center up a bit and used some
Old Paper distress ink on it, and I really like how all those extra
steps created such a pretty, detailed focal point.

I embossed the white panel on the front, and used some
pattern paper from Basic Grey's Nook and Pantry line,
along with some strips of Chocolate Chip cardstock that
I punched with my scalloped edge punch. All together it
had a warm, vintage-y kind of look that reminded me
of my Oma's sewing room. Anyways, my mama really
did love the card so it was worth the extra fuss.

I also made some pages for her scrapbook, so
I'll try and get those posted as well. It was good to
get some extra crafty time in last week, but now I
need to get caught up on laundry and housekeeping.
*Sigh*... if only there was a fun, creative way to keep
the house clean, laundry done and meals on the table!
Here's to wishing!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful card, Angela! Your flower is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, seriously, that flower turned out amazing. The whole card is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word!!! - This card is absolutely stunning Angela. I love it.

    ReplyDelete