Tuesday, May 11, 2010

For Mom's scrapbook - Part 2

These last two pages were toughies! I wanted to use some
pictures from my Oma and her funeral, but wasn't quite
sure how to share them in a meaningful and gentle way.

This first page was the trickiest. I had a really beautiful
picture that I took of my mom holding Jude and sitting beside
my oma. It was taken a few days before my oma passed away
and it speaks volumes of my mom's love for her family, lovingly
caring for her mother and grandson. The picture is one I treasure,
but it's not an easy one to look at. Oma was very sick at the end
and most of the time was not even conscious. I so wanted to have
this particular picture - the precious moment and memories it
holds - included but knew, because of how Oma looked, that to
just put it on the page wouldn't work. First I tried covering it with
a piece of vellum to try and soften the shot, but it just made
everyone look like ghosts - not good! I finally came up with the
idea of the pocket to hold the picture and a tab on the top of
the picture so mom can pull it out when she wants to look at it.
The rest of the page is very simple and muted, keeping with the
tone of the picture. Mom bawled when she pulled out the picture
and she said she really loved having it in her scrapbook, but also
the way it was quietly tucked away in the page.

The next picture was taken at Oma's funeral. I just think it's
so precious - our two oldest and my cousin's two children
placing flowers down into Oma's grave. It was such a special
and beautiful way to say good-bye.

I created the ruffly little flower by punching out about 8
scalloped circles out of vintage book print and attaching them
together with a brad. I ruffled and crumpled up the top layers
to give it some dimension and inked the edges with some
distress ink. Love the way it turned out and how it looks on
the page. And I finally got to use my Martha Steward dove
punch! I love this sweet little bird, but have had a really hard
time incorporating into cards because of it's size (looks like a
freaky giant-bird paired with most of my flower and tree
stamps), so I was really happy to be able to use it on this
project. Well that's it for the scrapbook pages for now!
I have one more set from my brother's wedding, but I
have a feeling it will be awhile before I finish them...
the nice weather has returned and we'll be back outside
mowing lawn, working in the garden, and pushing four
little bottoms on the swings. As much as I enjoy crafting,
I LOVE working and playing outside with my family!
Hope you're enjoying the weather too!

1 comment: