Monday, January 17, 2011

January's HCCC

This month's challenge was a GREAT one! Thanks Marnie!
I opened up my scrap drawer and pulled out the leftover
pieces I had from this card that I had planned to make
two of...but never got around to it. I forgot to take pictures
at the very beginning, but I had four 1-inch squares of
card stock that I then punched into little hearts. Here's
what my desk looked like halfway into the card:
I had a couple thin strips of kraft card stock and after
trying to make them into stripes in the background, I
thought of the little ruler stamp from Cosmo Cricket's
'Material Girl' stamp set (another goodie from the Unity
prize pack I won - SO amazing!!) and knew exactly
what I wanted to do:

The inside of the card says:
We love you T-H-I-S much!!

It's just a little card, about 3x4, but I think
it still packs a pretty big punch!

The second card didn't turn out quite as well
but I thought I should share it anyways.
It's always good to learn from someone else's
mistakes, right? ;)
Here's what I started with:
I thought I would glue all the scraps together on a
piece of paper and then trace my Top Note die cut
on to it and cut it out...however the the papers were
too small for the die, and so I ended up using a smaller
one from Tim Holtz. It was a little fancier and I think
the combination of the busy, mix-matched papers
and the die were a bit much. I wasn't sure what to do
with it, and only being able to use scraps upped the ante,
but here's what I ended up with:
(My husband also pointed out the irony of
the sentiment and the very busy card...
Oh well! Better luck next time!)

Here's a close-up of the wonky, scrap-paper die cut:

Anyways, I've learned that sometimes I'm better off
keeping things sweet and simple. The whole 'shabby-chic'
look is obviously not my forte...
But, do not fear!! My scrap drawer is not empty yet
and the month is only halfway through so perhaps
I will attempt another creation or two :)
Stay tuned for more adventures from the Scrapyard!

3 comments:

  1. That second card is awesome. What are you talking about? I love it. I also really like how you do so much with your cards and they look awesome no matter what. You can do no wrong. Great work with the challenge so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy spectacular! I LOVE LOVE LOVE these!!! I think you pull off the shabby chic thing quite well!! :D No worries there!!! :D

    ReplyDelete