Monday, January 28, 2013

Sparkly snowflakes

 December didn't include very much card-making for me this year. In fact, I only managed to squeak out a measly two cards - one for a wedding and one Christmas card. That's right folks, I only made ONE Christmas card this year. Somehow we all still managed to survive. And, I'm thinking, that things can really only go up from here, right? Anyways, both cards were snowflake-themed and used some new stamps in my stash, so that was pretty fun. The first card, for the wedding, turned out okay. I used their wedding colours, blue, white and silver, but I think I may have gone a bit overboard...

...it just seemed a little 'busy' to me. I used snowflakes from Bo Bunny's Powder Mountain set
and embossed the largest one in silver.  The sentiment is from an old Unity kit of the month and 
worked out pretty swell because, unbeknownst to me, the bride really likes U2 :)

 I dry embossed the navy background panel with snowflakes and rubbed white ink over it, which really made the snowflakes pop, but I think it kinda overdid things. If I made this card again, I would definitely leave the embossed navy paper alone.

Onto my most favorite card...maybe ever!? This was the sole Christmas card that was made this year and, boy, did I love it! :) I'm definitely tucking this design away for future inspiration. The hexagons and sentiment are from Simon Says Stamp's Holiday Apothecary Labels, a super cute set that is not only good for Christmas but all kinds of sweet wintery cards. I was drawn to the set because of its' versatility...and the cute matching dies that go with it! I have to say, these are my first SSS stamps and I LOVE THEM! They pick up ink really well, stamp a beautiful image and have the feeling of my favorite red rubber stamps - but are CLEAR! Definitely excited to add some more SSS stamps to my arsenal in the future :) I added a touch of glitter to the snowflakes that gave the card just that little extra something and finished it with some hot pink baker's twine. Super fun card to make!
I cleaned up my stamping desk earlier this month, which has definitely inspired me to get more creative and inky again. So, hopefully, I'll be back soon with some more cards to share. Thanks for stopping by! xo

4 comments:

  1. First off: you are too hard on yourself. The sparkly snowflake card is lovely.

    Love winter-themed cards. The wedding card you made would have made an awesome Christmas card as well. The distressing that you did around the main panel really adds a lot of dimension to your card and focuses the eye on the large silver snowflake.

    Also, the one Christmas card that you made is so pretty. Very dynamic use of colour! The recipient was blessed indeed ;) [and may have stolen the layout when making her own bridal shower invites a few weeks later...]

    So happy that you are making cards again! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you took a picture of the shower invites!! Would love to see them! I was definitely thinking of you while making all my wintry-snowflakey cards :)

      Delete
  2. Absolutely beautiful cards Angela! Love the second one especially :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! I loved the second one, too :) It was hard to give it away - I just wanted to leave it out on my desk to stare at all day long. Hee!!

      Delete